German Cello Bow, Markneukirchen School c.1920

 

After the end of the Second World War, the Markneukirchen music trades changed to rely less on the import from Bohemia of cheaper instruments, bows and their parts and concentrated on making a smaller number of improved quality items like this excellent silver mounted Pernambuco bow.

Already a centre of excellence for bow making, many of this illustrious towns famous workshops produced first class unstamped bows for the European trade. Intended to have the selling shop’s brand, large numbers of these bows remained unstamped making it practically impossible, now 100 years or more from their date of manufacture to definitively state the workshop of origin.

German Cello Bow, Markneukirchen School c.1920